Alternative Energy Solutions
Glosten looks for innovative ways to help our clients implement alternative fuel sources; for example, instead of running diesel-driven generators while in port, electricity can be accessed by plugging into shore power or into a fuel cell barge.
Call Glosten for evaluating alternative energy sources, such as:
- Solar Panels
- Fuel Cell Technologies
- Electric-Battery Hybrid Designs
- Towing Kite Propulsion Systems
- Natural Gas
Recently, Glosten was invited by Puget Sound Clean Air Agency to assist Washington State University and Washington State Ferries in conducting a pilot project to test the use of biodiesel in State vessels. Glosten’s role as a marine engineering consultant was to:
- Support WSF in providing uninterrupted service.
- Develop testing and system performance monitoring protocols in compliance with USCG and ABS requirements.
- Act as a 24-hour on-call, technical resource and liaison between the ferry operators and the science team.
The successful trial ended in January 2009. The project demonstrated the feasibility of burning up to 20% biodiesel blends from canola, soy, and high-cloud-point feed stocks under conditions found in the Puget Sound region. The study team, of which we were proud to be a member, developed a valuable cache of information and of experience which is being used to develop guidelines for the use of biofuels by the Washington State Ferries and other marine operators.